Friday, March 27, 2020

Light's Temptation

The sun is bright and I have
the blinds closed blocking
my vision differently 
than the sun blinding me.
There are many ways given
not to see
                which often provides
a comfort to the eyes
and heart and soul
and, therefore, body.
The grace by which the unseen
is given is the grace of the yet
to be seen
                   more fully, more clearly,
not fighting to see the obvious.
"Wait.  I say wait."
                             and the light
tempts us to look before we can see.

              The Silence of Light
In the silence of light 
I often hear what 
I cannot see and so like
a blind man know by ear
what sight cannot give.

I grew up hearing my parents'
voices from a pulpit
and always have thought
there's scripture to be heard,
songs that catch the heart

so when I hear a voice,
a melody I am caught
in the sanctuary of spontaneous
worship
            knowing the only offering
I have is myself

and try to give as good
as I've just got in the silence
of light.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Only One

There are many things I would have preferred differently.  A lifelong marriage, happy endings to stories that could not end happily.  A body...