Sunday, March 1, 2020

That Love

I was thirteen.
She was seventeen, maybe
eighteen.
               She lived with her grandparents
and all three attended my father's church.
and we were in the basement
in a Sunday school classroom
and then my hand to her breast
sliding into an unbuttoned blouse
as we kissed
                      and then our hands everywhere,
lips on each other as she guided me and I felt her breath
or God's or both on my neck
and that surge that would change 
everything and her smile as we pulled
our clothes back on
                                she going up one and I
the other stairs.
                       And everytime I feel that breathing
on my neck, I am haunted 
by that breath I felt, that human panting
and something else felt
in the basement of the sanctuary.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Only One

There are many things I would have preferred differently.  A lifelong marriage, happy endings to stories that could not end happily.  A body...