Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Cutting A Track


                      I
It was a heavy, deep, wet snow.
The tracks were clear, no ice along the edges,
the claw marks often sharply showing,
the stride unhurried but beyond me catching
up.

                     II
I tracked the bear; it took me
to where I couldn't go and I turned
back, walked slow up the hill through
the slashings, on rock lodged thousands
of years ago to the edge where I knew
the valley below.

                     III
I could have been tracking God the way the sign
never let me see the bear, the way
I could never gain on what I was hunting.
It didn't go through thick places,
once walked a fallen tree as if on a balancing beam.
I stepped in the paw print or just
aside looking down, up, out, to each side.
I never thought about not following
the track adding it to the other
ones haunting my dreams.



-Byron Hoot
Stained Glass Writers of Punxsutawney 

No comments:

Post a Comment

See You Tomorrow

The body ages and my hope is   so the heart and soul ferment  existence into an elixir only ageing can possess.   Something to do about the ...