Monday, September 30, 2019

That Problem, Again

I am doing the math again
and the sum doesn't come out
the way I want it to,
nor the value of the integers
as I would want them though
on that matter there's the wiggle, 
room of experience, the unknown
holding what I cannot know.
But the numbers, however, don't
lie -- not even to me who is not
good in math:  adding, subtracting,
carrying over.
                     I'm 67, that's the base
number for the year; it'll change,
 as always, again, in June
and the addition to what has been
and the subtraction from what will be
will be done again.
                              That's the quandary
I find myself in -- not to be or not
to be but how to be knowing I can't
change the numbers only the value 
not wanting to cheapen anything.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

See You Tomorrow

The body ages and my hope is   so the heart and soul ferment  existence into an elixir only ageing can possess.   Something to do about the ...