Thursday, February 29, 2024

Nearly Gone

The trees in my yard have a clarity foregrounded

against the thinning fog.  The winter grass looks

ready for spring.  My heart’s discontent is a love 

song.  There is nothing I can do to change this scene,

this time, this longing in its blessings and curses.

That is what longing is – Jacob clinging to the angel,

the blessing, the wounding not letting go gives.

The poetry where everything fits – every step 

a dance step, every stumble a fall.

The low growling harmony of love songs where

every moment is a honky-tonk, all the music blues.

My discontent a hesitant redemption, a promise

that only I can break.  The fog is nearly gone.


-Byron Hoot

https://hootnhowlpoetry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

See You Tomorrow

The body ages and my hope is   so the heart and soul ferment  existence into an elixir only ageing can possess.   Something to do about the ...