Thursday, May 18, 2023

Escape

I drove through the Laurel Highlands

yesterday and was tempted like

Rip Van Wrinkle to go into the mountains

and not come out.  To let time pass 

on some road beyond the mountains,

to not see change but in the cycle

of seasons the words linear and time

untranslatable in valleys and streams,

fog lingering in hollows, caught 

by the tops of trees.  But I was on 

a road taking me to where I live,

where stories have built a home,

a place of refuge, a place to go to,

a place to see my children

pulling into the driveway.  The mountains

receding in the rear view mirror.  

Home only forty miles away.


-Byron Hoot

https://hootnhowlpoetry.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Only One

There are many things I would have preferred differently.  A lifelong marriage, happy endings to stories that could not end happily.  A body...