Friday, August 27, 2021

A Cautionary Tale

I am wrestling with demons

whose family resemblance 

is unnerving. I don’t know

if the dead have come alive

from pictures or if a family

reunion has been called and I’m

the last to know.  But here they

are before me – the most

desirous and the least; of course,

the dead are dead and that’s 

a problem for any appeal they

have to the living and why 

the what has been always appears

demonic.  There are few realities

that survive richly, untattered 

into here and now, that eternity

which mocks all time  

crying – “Look what has been!”  

The words they lived their lives

by as empty then as now.  I greet 

them, give my response, “I am 

that I am.” see ashes to ashes, 

dust to dust crumble again. 

-Byron Hoot

http://hootnhowlpoetry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

See You Tomorrow

The body ages and my hope is   so the heart and soul ferment  existence into an elixir only ageing can possess.   Something to do about the ...