Sunday, January 19, 2020

Michelangelo’s Daughter

i am a daughter of michelangelo
chipping away with sculptor’s mallet
to free the man i see inside
frantic task with hammer and chisel                       
rasp and rifler
chaos flying from my hands
wounds inflicted

drawn to your frame
your structure
            block of granite
            chunk of stone

reaching to embrace you
finding no softness
feeling no give

my ear against your chest listens
pulse pops
warmth spreads


i gather my tools
gather myself
moaning soft songs
wings folding like a mourning dove
melodies sloping downward
that only i can sigh

i take flight 
singing my story  
releasing my song

beyond range
distant  
clear
strong
your own song  follows me
                                    - Janey Pease

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Only One

There are many things I would have preferred differently.  A lifelong marriage, happy endings to stories that could not end happily.  A body...